A few years ago, I took on the task of making Minnie Mouse ears for my goddaughter’s Minnie Mouse birthday party. They would be used as prop for the guests to wear and to take home as favors. I started searching the internet for ideas. There were many different ways to make them. Here is my take on making these adorable mouse ears headbands. They are easy to make, just a bit time consuming. It is definitely cheaper to make them than to buy pre-made ones.
1. 71f Peltex Ultra Firm 1-sided Fusible (by the yard) – 20″ width – Found at Joann’s
2. Felt fabric (by the yard) – 20″ width – Found at Joann’s
3. Headband – Dollar store has 9 for $1. They are black plastic headbands covered in fabric.
4. Ribbons – I used 3 different ribbon sizes found at Hobby Lobby.
3/8″ x 15 ft Rosa Elec Grosgrain Ribbon (not picture)
1.5″ x 3 yds Hot Pink Polk Dots Matt Finish Grosgrain Ribbon
2″ x 4 yds Hot Pink Matt Finish Grosgrain Ribbon
5. Permanent marker, white crayon – I used them for tracing the ear templates and circles.
7. Hot glue gun
8. Krylon Spray Adhesive | All Purpose
9. Templates (circle, ear)
PREPARING ALL PIECES:
1. Remove the fabric covering the headband. We only need the plastic headband.
2. Cut a long strip of black felt fabric, approximately 0.75″ width x 30″ length. This will be used to wrap around the headband
3. Using the ear template, cut two ears from the black felt fabric.
4. Cut two 3″ circles from the Ultra Firm 1-sided Fusible fabric.
5. For the bow, cut the two big ribbons to 8.5″ long.
|Wrap the strip of black felt tightly around the headband, overlapping the edge of the felt slightly to not expose the headband underneath.|
|When reaching the other end of the headband, put a dab of hot glue and wrap the felt strip over and around it tightly.Cut any excess felt.|
|Headband wrapped in black felt.|
|Iron a white circle (cut from Ultra Firm 1-sided Fusible fabric) onto a black felt ear – placing the shiny adhesive side down on the black felt ear.
Repeat for the 2nd felt ear.
|Spray the entire ears with the spray adhesive on the side with the white circles.
Note: Make sure to work in a well ventilated area or outdoor.
|Fold the ears onto the felt wrapped headband and press down.|
|If making Mickey Mouse ears, you can stop at this step.|
|1. Place the ribbons on top of each other. We are trying to create a wider polka dots bow.
2. Fold the ends to the back and center.
3. Pinch the middle to form a bow.
|Pinching the ribbon down against the top of the headband, add a dab of hot glue.|
|Still pinching down the ribbon against the top of the headband, press down the end of a small ribbon on the dab of hot glue.|
|Tightly wrap the small ribbon around the bow/top of the headband twice.|
|Back on the back of the headband, add another dab of hot glue and press down the small ribbon. Cut off the excess ribbon.|
|And here you have it: Minnie Mouse Ears!|